I was going to title this post “Slow Progress”, but then I realized it is more like bursts of progress with long periods of idleness in between — or more precisely, long periods of everything else in life taking priority.
But, there are in fact some bursts of progress. This past week I have been working on laying out the staging tracks. Here you can see that work in process:
In this photo I am laying the roadbed for the outermost two tracks of the 5-track staging. I don’t have a photo, but at the moment I have the roadbed laid, two turnouts and all the track on both ends prepared (except for attaching wires) for installation, but I’ve hit a snag.
The staging yard will have infrared detectors placed at both ends and in the center, for queuing up trains on the hidden tracks, but I have to determine the clearance points between all of the tracks in order to figure where to place the sensors. And the sensors must be placed before the track is permanently installed. So until the next budgeting round, when I can purchase the rest of the turnouts for the yard (and some more flex track!), the staging must go on hold.
In the meantime, I did acquire some Code 40 flex for the industrial tracks, and so I began installing those, at least where I knew for sure what the final placement should be.
First, we have the 84 Lumber site, between the yard and the peninsula. 84 Lumber is a single track which will be in the middle of a lumber yard (obviously) and be mainly for centerbeam flats.
This track will be served by the Branch Line turn.
Second up, we have Standlee Forage, which is on the North wall of the room between the yard and the lift-out bridge. This too is a single track, and will be one of the “signature” scenes anchoring the layout to a real place in space/time.
You can see the real site in the photo behind the tracks.
Third we have the two tracks for the Georgia Pacific “Dixie Cup” plant.
Dixie Cup is accessed from the main line just off the yard, and its spur crosses over the Branch Line as it curves around toward the closet. The straight track will be inside the plant building, which will feature a cut-away scene of the interior loading dock. The curved track will be outside the building and is an unloading dock for a single tank car of chemicals used in the manufacturing process.
In a stroke of luck, I have made an acquaintance of one of the engineers at the real plant, so I am hoping to gather some “intelligence” on the actual operations and materials involved, to enhance the realism of this scene.
One issue I have come across is that Code 40 rail is short enough that my locomotives are rather noisily riding along the molded-in spike detail on the ties. They still make good contact with the rails, so I think a bit of careful work with a file on the spike heads should solve that problem. I will also have to make sure that all of my rolling stock is retrofitted with low-profile wheels. Some of my boxcars with Micro-Trains “pizza cutter” wheels won’t run at all on this track.
We shall see when scenery is in place, but TBH at the moment I’m not sure the difference between Code 40 and Code 55 is all that visible, except perhaps in photographs.
That is all I have for now. Upcoming tasks include (in no particular order):
- Saving up for the rest of the staging yard trackage and turnouts
- Pondering how to re-build the lift-out across the closet, and how to improve vertical alignment on the main lift-out. This may involve Neodymium super-magnets in some fashion.
- Studying the “pit” side of the peninsula and making final decisions about the industry/industries on that space.
- Starting final design work on Standlee and Dixie Cup structures, now that track is in place and footprint dimensions can be finalized.
- Creating the video update Part 6, which is long overdue.