When I designed my Glover’s Bend layout, I put together a plan of the trains that would run regularly on it, including the motive power required to run those trains – or, more specifically, what would be used if it were the real prototype, of course. I also planned for the type and roadname of the locomotive to be a visual cue to which train – and to/from which locations – each was. This mean that I had a specific list of locomotives that I need to make the layout complete, just like I had a specific list of track pieces or structures or scenic details or electronics that I need.
As of my most recent purchase – a Norfolk Southern B23-7 by Atlas, lightly used, from a friend, that need list is now complete. Not that I won’t be buying plenty more locomotives in the future – they are somewhat addictive – but they will be wants not needs, so to speak.
Front row (L-R):
- Bachmann 2-8-0 Consolidation WM761 : excursion service
- Bachmann 2-6-6-2 Mallet C&O 1397 : Coal and excursion service
Second row (L-R):
- Atlas EMD SD35 B&O (Chessie) 7413 : Coal service (paired with CH&FR7401)
- Atlas EMD SD35 CH&FR 7401 : Coal service (paired with B&O7413)
- Atlas GE B23-7 NS 3982 : Northbound mixed freight from Norfolk Southern (Williamson, WV)
Third row (L-R):
- Atlas EMD GP40-2 CSX 6218 : Southbound mixed freight from CSX (Russell, KY)
- Bachmann EMD GP7 CHFR (Chessie, ex-B&O)6411 : Town branch freight
- Kato EMD NW2 C&O (Chessie) 5278 : Yard switching
Fourth row (L-R):
- Bachmann EMD GP40 ATSF 3500 : Out of service (soon to be repainted in Conrail)
- Intermountain EMD F3A EL6611 : Excursion and general freight service