I’m reaching one of those points where I’ve put too many irons in the fire. I really need to back down and finish some of the older ones before picking up any new ones… but it’s so tempting. The problem is, my ADD kicks in and I run off chasing the next shiny object, and then other things get dropped.
For example, already to-do are:
- Finishing painting the train room
- Starting benchwork for the layout
- Writing three different magazine articles
- Putting together a clinic for my local NMRA club
- Building up a Shapeways NRE Genset locomotive
- Building up at least 3 different HO scale covered hoppers
- Moving all my tools and supplies upstairs
- Planning a shelf switching layout as a demo
- Continued work on the CH&FR website
- Getting out to take some good train photos
- Completing my coal flood loader scratch-build
- Completing customization of my kitbashed log cars
And then there’s the usual non-train related stuff going on, such as:
- Keeping up with the housework
- Building and maintaining my son’s Boy Scout troop website
- Travel and family fun stuff
- Painting and updating the rest of the house
- Continued practice on four different musical instruments
… and so on.
And then there’s the new projects I want to take on…
- Creating a diorama for a contest
- Scratch building a special flat car
- Custom designing detection and signaling equipment
- Getting my layout video blog started
- Finding hours to volunteer with my club
And that’s just the stuff that comes to mind right off my head. I’m sure I’ve already forgotten a few things.
It’s definitely time to focus and knock some things off. I don’t want this to sound like a brag sheet. Truth is, almost none of this (except, of course, work and the honey-do list) is actually getting done, at least not with any speed or efficiency or effectiveness.
In the case of the hobby stuff, it’s not so important. What matters is getting a little bit done step by step here and there, moving the ball forward and having fun with it.
Enough blogging. Time to get something done to blog about!